Arthur Courtney b1840, of Barton Stacey Hampshire

I have long been fascinated with the village of Barton Stacey and whether it holds the key to unlocking the mystery of my mysterious Mr Courtney.  

Very early on in my research I discovered an Elizabeth COURTNEY, the wife of William BOUND of Barton Stacey who had connections to the PAICE and JOYCE families.  As it turns out some time later I found she was a descendant of William Courtney, gentleman, who had been involved in the Swing Riots of 1830.  Some of Williams descendants had the middle name Hinxman, a quite unusual name.  However it is also a family name in my Paice family, Thomas HINXMAN being the second great grandfather of Abigail Paice the wife of the mysterious Arthur George Courtney. 

Many years later a group of unknown DNA matches connected to the Australian convict Silas COLE from Barton Stacey also emerged.  It would seem these matches are somehow connected to our Paice family from Kingsclere Hampshire.  You can read some of my preliminary findings in my blogpost here.

All Saints Cemetery, Barton Stacey (Courtesy:  Wikicommons)

I recently came across an 1891 census record for an Arthur Courtney born 1840 in Barton Stacey.  He is lodging in London in a common lodging house, working as a labourer, aged 51 and single.

This is in the right vicinity to be a candidate for our mystery Arthur George Courtney, who said in the 1871 census he was born in 1835.  I've scoured baptismal and census records for more information regarding this Arthur but none seems to be available - who is this Arthur, who are his parents and how does he fit into the picture?  Can you help?

Until we know more about his life - I've added him to the 'in contention' list!


1891 Census, Westminster (Ancestry.com)


                                                                         

**********

This blog is dedicated to finding my second great grandfather Arthur 'George' Courtney c1841.   To see a summary of my research click here.  

If you help with any of questions raised in this post, please contact me using the contact form on this blog or send me a private message via WikitreeAncestry or Facebook. 

**********

Popular posts from this blog

Could George be of Romany descent?

About this site

Who are our Waterford Ancestors?

Residents of 14 Sun Street, Woolwich - 1871

Recreating the genome of Abigail Courtney b1871

The facts about George - or is it Arthur or William?

Nurse Ann Muggeridge - aka Ann Rudd nee Webster b1820

Is Michael James Courtney of Iowa associated with my Courtney family?

The Courtney's of Holdenhurst

George William Courtney b1839 - m Elizabeth Duke