About this site

This blog documents my ongoing research to establish the origins of Arthur/George/William Courtenay/Courtney my mothers paternal great grandfather. I first started seriously researching my Courtenay/Courtney line with traditional research in about 2006 and explored many possible theories as to his identity.  In late 2010 I undertook DNA testing expecting my primary theory to be immediately confirmed.  

I'm still searching....

  • For an overview of my research relating to George, please go to the Research Summary.
  • For more information about all my family research, please check out my Genemonkey Website.
  • It is an ongoing 'works in progress'.  Please contact me if you can help, via the form at the bottom of this page.



  • Featured image: By Richard Rixon, 1841 – Saint, A., Guillery, P. (ed.), Woolwich – Survey of London, Volume 48, p. 60. Yale Books, London, 2012. ISBN 978 0 300 18722 9, Public Domain.

Popular posts from this blog

Could George be of Romany descent?

Who are our Waterford Ancestors?

Residents of 14 Sun Street, Woolwich - 1871

Recreating the genome of Abigail Courtney b1871

The facts about George - or is it Arthur or William?

Nurse Ann Muggeridge - aka Ann Rudd nee Webster b1820

Is Michael James Courtney of Iowa associated with my Courtney family?

The Courtney's of Holdenhurst

George William Courtney b1839 - m Elizabeth Duke