Who are our Waterford Ancestors?

When questions were asked about where in the south of Ireland our ancestors came from, the response from my maternal grandmother Mona Roberts (nee Murphy) to her children was always Waterford and Wexford.  Her Murphy line family from Wexford, but in my research to date I have found no connections to Waterford.

Could she be referring to the ancestry of the mysterious Elizabeth Bateman/Kennedy, her paternal grandmother?  Elizabeth is said to have come from Limerick which is not that far away.

Or, could it be the Courtney's that came from Waterford?  Was she referring to Wexford as her side of the family and Waterford as being her husband Ted's side?  Ted does write in his memoirs that his mother had a 'little Irish in her makeup'.

After many years research, I was contacted by another researcher who suggested George Courtney of Waterford might be an appropriate person to explore.  This George came from Lismore in Waterford, a beautiful place we visited on spec in 2017!  Read my post about this family here.


Veronica in Lismore, Waterford 2017



**********

This blog is dedicated to finding my second great grandfather Arthur 'George' Courtney c1841.   To see a summary of my research click here.  

If you help with any of questions raised in this post, please contact me using the contact form on this blog or send me a private message via WikitreeAncestry or Facebook. 

**********

Popular posts from this blog

Could George be of Romany descent?

About this site

Residents of 14 Sun Street, Woolwich - 1871

Recreating the genome of Abigail Courtney b1871

The facts about George - or is it Arthur or William?

Nurse Ann Muggeridge - aka Ann Rudd nee Webster b1820

Is Michael James Courtney of Iowa associated with my Courtney family?

The Courtney's of Holdenhurst

George William Courtney b1839 - m Elizabeth Duke